Friday, September 27, 2013

Abigail Adams Went To School!

    Wednesday, September 18th was a beautiful day in the minds and hearts in a classroom of brilliant third grade students at a local elementary school where I was invited to share my National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) American Heritage Music Composition award-winning song, " Be Like Abigail."

When I arrived, I was met by Stanley and Campbell in the "visitors" area who were sent to be my helpers. We traveled up to the their classroom and I was blessed to be able to share historical, patriotic information about John and Abigail Adams. After a short Q & A, I sang "Be Like Abigail (Ode to Abigail Smith Adams) with the children. Their teacher requested the song be sung again....four times! They absolutely loved the song! I provided book markers with Abigail's picture on the front and the lyric on the back. For the boys, I made it a point to make copies of a picture of John Adams, first vice-president and second President of the United States with bullet point on the back of the picture of his life and times. I handed these out before we sang "Abigail." It was a fun, productive morning that continued until lunchtime. They asked me to autograph their pictures and book marks - which I did. They wanted to touch and see my guitar up close (ly) which they did.

I am posting one of the pictures taken of me. Bear in mind there were nineteen enthusiastic third graders in those desks in front of me in rapt attention singing their hearts out! What a pleasure it was to share! Note the fabulous red, white and blue dress. I hope to do more of this along the trails of Tennessee.  www.trailsoftn.com





No comments:

Post a Comment